Laser Vein Removal is a fast and highly effective way to remove veins, in particular Spider Veins. Laser therapy is safe, effective, and a commonly used non-invasive treatment for vein removal. Our Candela GentleYAG Laser machine uses a patented cryogen cooling system which provides a comfortable and safe experience.
The Candela GentleYAG is a device that produces a beam of high-intensity light that penetrates deeply into the skin tissue, where it delivers a controlled amount of targeted therapeutic heat. The upper layers of your skin are protected with a cooling burst of cryogen. Together the long pulse laser and cooling device offer optimal treatment with minimal side effects. The laser can treat spider veins that are smaller than 3 millimetres and close to the surface of the skin. The laser is a strong, focused beam of light that causes the spider vein to clot, dry up and die.
What are Spider Veins?
Spider veins occur when tiny blood vessels are damaged due to gravity, life style, age and medical conditions, they appear threadlike red / blue and green lines or patterns on the skin and show up on your face (lips, nose, eyes, and cheeks), hands, chest or legs. They form gradually and often in clusters and if left untreated it can worsen over time and get bigger and lead to Trophic Ulcers or Varicose eczema causing discomfort and pain.
What Causes Spider Veins?
A number of factors may contribute to the development of spider veins:
- Hormonal changes
- Sitting or standing for long periods
- Pregnancy – often applies large amounts of pressure on small blood vessels
- Overweight – can cause pressure on legs
- Alcoholism: can affect the flow of blood in vessels
- Aging – blood vessels can begin to weaken
- Continual use of corticosteroid – thins and weakens the skin
Many people choose to have them removed. Removal is done by causing damage to the vessel by the Laser beam and forcing it to collapse and die. This reduces the appearance of the red marks or patterns on the skin.
Lasers can also treat other vascular conditions such as Cherry Angiomas (small red dots) and other broken capillaries.
Laser can quickly and effectively remove spider veins with minimal discomfort.
- Effective – rids you of what can be unsightly and embarrassing veins
- Speed and comfort versus surgical or other removal methods
- Small spider veins may disappear immediately after treatment
- Shorter recovery period and little downtime – you can return to most normal activities on the same day. However, no exercising or strenuous activity for a few days.
- Safe and non-invasive
The Laser will beam an intense light at the spider vein and obliterate it through the skin. More than one laser session may be needed to obtain the desired results. The Therapist will carry a consultation prior to the treatment to address concerns you may have and run through what is involved in the treatment.
- Before a treatment the skin must be squeaky clean and dry – therefore all make-up, oils, sunscreens and other skin products must be removed. Ideally you should do this prior to coming into the clinic. It is recommended that any hair in the area is removed, which the Therapist can do as required. The skin cannot be freshly tanned.
- The Therapist will draw around the veins using a white ‘eyeliner’ pencil to ensure that the laser is delivered at the affected area only.
- Lasers can cause eye injury and protective eyewear must be worn during treatment. We will provide this.
- The veins are ‘zapped’ by the laser and followed immediately by the cool air supplied by our Candela laser.
- An ice-pack will be applied for comfort as the area will feel warm to touch followed by Aloe Vera gel and sunblock.
- Once the treatment is complete, you can return to your normal activities as there is no downtime. However, no exercising or strenuous activity for a few days. We recommend limiting the intake of alcohol.
BEFORE THE TREATMENT: Avoid tanning your legs with either direct sun exposure or artificial tanning products for at least 3 weeks before and after your laser treatment.
- Shave or wax your legs at least 24 hours prior to your leg vein laser treatment.
- Do not apply lotion to your legs prior to having your laser treatment. We will hold a consultation prior to commencing the treatment to ensure you are ready.
Once you are ready for the treatment, we will mark the area and zap the veins with our Candela GentleYag Laser which will immediately follow with a cool spray as the area treated will feel warm. Depending on the size of the area it can take 1 min to 30mins. Once complete, we will apply an ice pack, Aloe Vera gel and sunblock. There isn’t much more to it than that.
The treated area will be red and swollen for some time post treatment, usually looks like hives, this is normal. This should go away within a week or two, although everyone is different. Most Clients, don’t experience too much discomfort and are able to carry on with their normal activities thereafter.
No heat treatments are permitted for 2 weeks afterwards (Sauna, steam room, spas, hot showers & bathes, swimming) We recommend limiting the intake of alcohol.
To reduce the nettle rash appearance (redness and swelling) you can apply aloe gel, ice pack or cold face cloths at home.
It usually takes up to 8-weeks to see full results. It’s important to stay out of the sun for at least a week and to keep your skin moisturised during the recovery process.
Depending on the size of the vessel, it may take 1-3 treatments to get rid of the vein. These will typically be 8-weeks apart as needed. Some people may need 3-4 treatments depending on each person’s circumstances.
It can be painful, some have described it like ‘snapping of rubbing bands’, ‘bee sting’ and hot. A mild sunburned sensation may be experienced for a few hours after. A cooling spray is released after each pulse to ease discomfort and provide cooling to the skin.
SPF 20 recommended daily for 4 weeks after treated areas should not be exposed to sunlight.
Tanning the skin is not permitted between treatments. The skin needs to be as pale as possible for optimum results. (Tanned skin & darker skin types cannot be treated, as there is a high risk of pigmentation).
Laser treatment for facial blood vessels and leg veins have been known to be free of significant complications.
Skin irritation, temporary discomfort, redness and swelling are possible after laser vein removal. Any signs and symptoms typically disappear within several hours.
During the healing process, pigment changes might cause Hyper-pigmentation or dark spots (darkening of the skin) or Hypo-pigmentation (lightening of the skin). These can be temporary or permanent. Hypo-pigmentation can affect people who haven’t avoided exposure to the sun before or after treatment and also who have darker skin.
In rare cases, it could cause burning, blistering, crusting, scarring or other changes in skin texture. May take 1 – 3 weeks or more to heal.
Our laser cannot treat varicose veins.
Price (per session)
Please give us a call for a FREE consultation and your personalised treatment plan.
Please see below a range of before and after images.
The procedure has potential benefits and risks and results may vary with each individual and in rare cases the desired results may not be reached. It is impossible to predict how you will respond to the treatment and how many sessions may be required due to unknown factors such as underlying medical conditions and lifestyle factors.