Microneedling (also known as collagen induction therapy) is based on your skin’s natural ability to repair itself whenever there is physical damage, such as cuts, burns and other abrasions. Immediately after your skin is damaged your body re-uses the damaged collagen and elastin fibres to create new skin.
Microneedling allows for the controlled stimulation of the skin’s self-repair mechanism by creating ‘micro-injuries’ in the skin. This triggers new collagen growth, yet does not pose the risk of permanent scarring.
At Beautilase, we use a Derma Pen to perform microneedling.
The result are smoother, firmer, healthier and youthful looking skin.
Microneedling is used to treat and improve conditions such as:
- acne scarring
- fine lines and wrinkles
- loose skin e.g. after weight loss
- skin texture
- pore size
- brown spots
- stretch marks
- skin pigment issues
- Smoother, firmer
- More Youthful looking skin
Microneedling is done in a very safe and controlled way. The Therapist will carry out a consultation prior to the treatment to address concerns you may have and run through what is involved in the treatment.
- Before the treatment, all make-up, oils, sunscreens and other skin products must be removed. Ideally you should do this prior to coming into the clinic. The Therapist will clean and sterilise the skin with chlorhexidine.
- We may apply a topical anaesthetic (numbing cream) to your skin for 30mins before we start to make the experience as comfortable and painless as possible. Some Clients may not require the cream.
- The Derma Pen is gently moved over your skin to puncture the outer layers and create miniscule sub-cutaneous punctures. These microscopic wounds stimulate new collage growth that will continue for up to a year but will close up in less than an hour.
- Once the treatment is complete the skin is sterilised the with chlorhexidine followed by relevant skin care
- You can immediately return to your normal activities as there is minimal downtime. The skin will look red and may feel like sunburn for 24 hours.
- You will be given after care instructions that you should adhere by until the skin is fully healed, which can take between 3 to 5 days.
Microneedling works by encouraging your skin to produce more collagen. This is based on your natural skins ability to repair itself. The microneedles will puncture the skin and create ‘pinpricks’. The new skin becomes smoother textured and firmer.
At Beautilase, we use a Derma Pen for Microneedling and is done in a very safe and controlled way. You will have a consultation to go through any concerns and the procedure. The skin will be cleansed and sterilised prior to the treatment. Once ready. We will pass the Derma Pen over the skin in three different directions to puncture the outer layers and create miniscule sub-cutaneous punctures.
The results of the treatment rely on kick-starting your body’s own collagen production, it can take between four to eight weeks before you start to see full benefits. A series of between four and six treatments is usually recommended to achieve maximum results. You will however notice a big improvement in your skin after just one treatment.
- Micro-needling can be safely repeated every 4-6 weeks until you achieve the desired result
- For collagen + Skin Rejuvenation: 3-6 treatments / 6 Weeks apart
- For scarring + acne scars and pigmentation: 4-6 treatments / 6 weeks apart
- Maintenance treatment every 6 month to year
Your skin will be red and flushed, similar to moderate sunburn. You will also experience skin tightness and mild sensitivity to touch. This will diminish greatly after a few hours following the skin needling treatment, and within forty eight hours your skin will be completely healed. After five days there will be barely any evidence that skin needling has taken place. The length of the downtime and recovery time depends on the micro-needle size used for your treatment, and you will be informed about your predicted post-treatment appearance during the consultation.
The most common side effect is minor skin irritation and redness immediately following the procedure. You may also see redness and on the rare occasion some bruising which usually around the eye and forehead with skin being so thin – this will last few days.
Price (per session)
Please give us a call for a FREE consultation and your personalised treatment plan.
Please see below a range of before and after images.